These olive oil mini loaf cakes are flavored with lemon and lavender and topped with a light and not-too-sweet ricotta mascarpone icing.
Oh HIIIII, happy Friday and happy eat all the cake day! Today it’s mini loaf cake thought so…totally acceptable.
I feel like this week just kinda flew by thanks to helping Jessica out on Tuesday and Wednesday and I’m not mad about it. Now that it’s Friday, I’m ready for cake and drinks!
Do you guys own a mini loaf pan? It’s so random, I know, but I felt the need to buy one when I was at Target the other day. Target does that to people, doesn’t it? It draws you in and makes you buy all of these unnecessary yet totally necessary things.
Like loaf pans.
If you don’t own a mini loaf pan, have no fear—I believe you could use a cupcake tin and they’ll essentially be the same thing. I can’t tell you exactly how many cupcakes this recipe will make, but I’m guessing between 6-8. Small serving recipes, ftw!
I decided to make these lemon lavender flavor because it’s one of my favorites and I was feeling like I hadn’t used lavender in awhile. Not since this crepe cake, actually. I also had never baked with olive oil and I wanted to try it! I knew it was a ‘thing’, but I had to see for myself. Guys, it IS a thing! And the cool thing (I should probably stop saying “thing” huh?) is that everyone has olive oil on hand! So, you don’t have to worry about not having oil (like, I sometimes have coconut oil on hand, but I always have olive oil on hand).
For the icing, I opted to use a combination of ricotta and mascarpone. The result? Out of this world! It’s light, not too sweet and pairs perfectly with this lemon lavender dessert.
I also used piping bags for the first time because I want to pretend like I’m fancy. In real life, I’d just ice these like a normal person. Whatever you choose, these mini loaf cakes will be delicious!Print
Olive Oil Mini Loaf Cakes
- Yield: 7-8 1x
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lavender
- Zest of 1 lemon
- For the icing:
- 1/4 cup ricotta
- 1/4 cup mascarpone
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, yogurt, olive oil, and vanilla together.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Last, stir in the lavender and lemon zest by hand.
- Grease a mini loaf pan* and pour batter evenly into the pan.
- Bake cakes for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from the oven and leave them sit in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully transferring them to a cooling rack.
- For the icing: use an electric mixer to mix the ricotta and mascarpone together; add in the powdered sugar and vanilla and stir until everything is combined.
- Once cakes are cool, spread icing evenly among them.
*If you don’t own a mini loaf pan, you can use a muffin tin instead.