Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by alli®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Raise your hand if you love carbs. Keep your hand raised if you love PASTA CARBS.
All hands better be raised. Pasta and carbs, aka two of my favorite things, are what this recipe is all about. But would you believe me if I told you it’s healthy? It’s true.
Growing up, my mom made pasta for dinner at least once a week. Anything from spaghetti to ravioli to rigatoni to lasagna—we ate it all. We aren’t even Italian, but you’d definitely have thought we were based off of the amount of pasta we consumed. Never, ever, EVER mad about it.
Typically, we paired our pasta with marinara sauce, but this linguini recipe is a bit different. This recipe proves that a little bit goes a long way.
You’ll begin this dish by preparing the linguini noodles according to the package. While the noodles are cooking, you’ll want to cook the “bacon” in a skillet over the stovetop. I used tempeh bacon for a vegetarian substitute—which makes the carbonara sauce completely MEAT FREE—but feel free to use your favorite vegetarian bacon substitute. Once the bacon is done cooking, set it aside. In the same skillet, melt butter on low-medium heat.
Once the noodles are cooked, strain the water and pour the noodles into the skillet with the butter and stir so the noodles become all buttery and delicious. Next, you’ll stir in the liquid egg whites and evaporated skim milk before adding in the cheese, fresh parsley and bacon.
The best part is that it’s done in 30 minutes or LESS, meaning it’s kind of the perfect weeknight dinner recipe. I served the pasta with a side salad drizzled in balsamic vinegar, a small dinner roll and an apple, because apples are a delicious after dinner snack.
I hope you give this quick, vegetarian dinner recipe a try! Find more weight loss recipes at myalli.com/recipes-for-you.
Linguini with Carbonara SaucePrint Rate
- 2 oz. linguini pasta
- 2 pieces vegetarian bacon substitute
- 1 tsp low fat buttery spread
- 2 tbsp liquid egg substitute
- 1.5 tsp evaporated skim milk
- 3 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp fresh parsley chopped
- Pinch of black pepper
- To serve with:
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 whole wheat dinner roll
- 1 apple
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain well.
- Prepare vegetarian bacon per package directions and cut into 1-inch pieces; set aside.
- Place spread in a skillet and heat over low heat. Add pasta and toss with spread.
- Whisk together egg substitute and milk until combined. Pour egg mixture over pasta; toss until well coated.
- Add bacon, parmesan cheese and parsley; toss to mix. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a warm serving dish and serve immediately with mixed greens tossed with dressing and vinegar.
- Enjoy a dinner roll and apple with meal!
*Nutrition facts are estimates only
Q: How often did you eat pasta as a kid?