A hearty corn kale salad topped with grilled corn, red onions and a simple chile-lime dressing. The salad is a tasty side dish for all your summer BBQ’s!
How do we feel about roasted corn salad? What about a corn kale salad? That is, a kale salad topped with corn, zucchini, red onion, and avocado. Yes?
I know many people do not like kale, but I am not one of those people. I love kale and I try to eat it daily in some capacity. With that said, I tend to either A) put in a smoothie or B) cook it with some olive oil, both being somewhat of a cop-out. I mean they count, but eating raw kale in a salad is probably the healthiest way to eat it. Seriously, I feel like I deserve a gold star when I eat kale salads. LOOK WORLD I’M SO HEALTHY. The cool thing is that this corn kale salad doesn’t taste overly healthy. It’s kale, yes, but it’s been massaged (<—a must do!) with olive oil and salt and then drizzled with a to-die-for chili-lime dressing.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE THIS SALAD:
- homemade dressing
I’ve mentioned in the past that I’m terrible at making homemade dressings, but chili-lime is a flavor I can easily get behind. It took many trials, but I figured it out and guys—this stuff is SO GOOD.
Oh and I can’t believe I almost failed to mentioned the true star of this recipe—the corn! If you own a grill, definitely grill the corn as I imagine it tastes amazing. I do not, so I simply heated the corn over a skillet until it browned. TIP: If you go this route, rinse your pan out right away after removing the corn. That way, your skillet is good as new.
Between the corn and the onion and the avocado and the dressing, this grilled corn kale salad is anything but boring! In fact, it’s quite exciting and summer-y and absolutely worth a try, even if kale isn’t on your ‘favorite foods’ list. Looking for more kale salads? Check out this one. It’s my fave!
RECIPES TO EAT WITH THIS CORN KALE SALAD:
- 5-ingredient Salmon Burgers by rachLmansfield
- Thai Slaw with Cashew Curry Dressing by Fit Mitten Kitchen
- Watermelon Cherry Popsicles by The Balanced Berry
- Grilled Peaches Over Vegan Ice Cream by In It 4 The Long Run
Grilled Corn Kale Salad
A corn kale salad that’s topped with grilled corn, onions and a chile-lime dressing! It’s the perfect side dish or a hearty meal.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: lunch
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: salad
- 3–4 cups kale, massaged with 1 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle of salt
- 1 cup zucchini, sliced
- 3/4 cup yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 1 avocado
- 2 ears of corn
for the dressing:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes (or more to taste)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp jalapeño, diced with seeds removed
- 1/2 tsp onion flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, dried parsley, sugar
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt to taste
- For the salad: place kale in a large bowl and set aside
- Heat a large skillet with 2 tbsp olive oil and place zucchini and squash in it, cooking until golden brown on either sides; put them on top of the kale.
- While zucchini and squash are cooking, chop onion and put overtop of salad.
- In that same skillet, heat both ears of corn as a whole until corn starts turning brown; remove and wait a few minutes before slicing corn off the cob and placing on top of salad.
- Last, add avocado to the salad.
- For the dressing: combine all ingredients in a blender and pulse until everything is combined. Drizzle overtop of salad.
*I’d say this serves 2 people if all you’re eating is this salad, but 4 people if you’re serving it with a meal. It also varies depending on how much people want!
Keywords: kale salad, corn kale salad, corn salad