I don’t think I really need to say this, but Layla has been taking up much of my time. Words cannot express how excited I am. I don’t think I’ve mentioned this before, but I’ve never had a pet. Not a dog, cat, hamster or fish. Nada. Sooooo this is going to be a fun experience for me 😀 So far, she’s very well behaved, but I have a feeling she’s still a little disoriented. We’ll see though!
Things I’ve learned so far about my pup: She loves.. cuddling, playing with tennis balls, using the bathroom inside the house (though we’re getting better at this already!), her blanket bed
Things my pup doesn’t love: going on walks, leashes, the cold, the chew toy I bought for her
Eh, you win some, you lose some. Ask me in a month and I bet some of these things will change.
I know you didn’t come here for puppy talk (or did you???).. This recipe is one of those recipes that hardly counts as a recipe. I KNOW I just made meatballs with pesto, but for this pesto I opted to use kale instead of spinach. I’ve been on a crazy kale kick for the past 6 months or so, so hopefully you all love kale as much as I do. And of course you can choose to omit the chicken if that’s not your thang, but I was looking for a super filling sandwich and the chicken helped up the protein.
I think this sandwich would go nicely with some soup (like this soup, for example) and is a simple weekend lunch meal. So grab your bread, cheese and kale and get cookin’!
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Kale Pesto
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup kale
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 chicken breast
- 4 pieces of bread
- 1 tbsp butter
- Cut chicken into thin strips.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over stove top and cook chicken until slightly browned.
- While chicken is cooking, place the rest of the olive oil, kale, basil, and pine nuts into a food processor (or blender) and pulse until everything is mixed together. **Be sure to remove the stems from the kale**
- Spread butter on one side of the bread, and place face down in a pan.
- Place half the chicken on the bread, and then on the second piece of bread, spread the kale pesto on the side facing down, and butter on the side facing up.
- Cook until each side is golden brown (like you would a regular grilled cheese sandwich).
- Repeat with two more pieces of bread.
Q: How old were you when you got your first pet?