Soft and chewy Chai Spice Cookies that are gluten free, dairy free and full of flavor! If you love chai, you HAVE to try these healthier cookies.
How wrong is it of me to post a cookie recipe three days after Christmas? Is everyone already trying to be healthy, because let’s be real: we’re going to be eating and drinking our body weight in cheese dips and alcohol on New Year’s Eve, soooooo I figure I have until then to post ‘unhealthy’ recipes, aka cookies. Though, to be honest, these cookies aren’t even THAT unhealthy. But, more on that later!
How was your holiday?! Let me guess: it came and went so quickly you can’t believe Christmas is over? Because that’s how I feel. Christmas as an adult is so much different than Christmas as a child, especially when you’re an adult who works from home. Not that I’m complaining, but there are fewer holiday parties and Christmas decorations and holiday music in general. …ok so maybe that’s my fault. I’ll step it up next year.
I sort of already discussed my holiday plans in this post, but we went to my grandmas on my moms side on Christmas and ate tons of food and played games, and then we went to my aunts house on my dads side of the family on the 26th and ate MORE FOOD. No complaints here! I left both days with a full belly and happy heart.
But let’s chat about these cookies before spinach takes over the blogosphere. These cookies are CHAI flavored and I just—I love chai so much. Probably because it has similar ingredients to gingerbread, minus molasses plus cardamom. If I’m ever craving something sweet with a little bit of caffeine, I inevitably end up with a chai spice latte, so obviously chai spice cookies are a good idea. These cookies have the same base as my Healthy Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies, but I used maple syrup as the sweetener instead of honey. They’re gluten free, dairy free, SOFT, CHEWY, and full of spice.
If you try these cookies, let me know by tagging @thealmondeater on Instagram—I love to see your creations!Print
Gluten Free Chai Spice Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2 dozen 1x
- 3 cups gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp: cardamom, ground ginger, cloves, all spice
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter, melted
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and spices together in a bowl, stir.
- Add in egg, egg yolk, butter, oil, syrup, and vanilla extract; mix together with an electric mixer.
- Scoop batter 1 tbsp at a time onto a nonstick baking sheet, flatting the dough out a bit with your hand of a spatula, and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until cookies are slightly browned around the edges.
- Remove from oven and wait approximately 3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Q: Are you still eating cookies, or are you ready for all things healthy?