This Gluten Free Breakfast Strata is perfect for the holidays! It’s made with gluten free bread, eggs, chicken sausage, and cheese and can easily be prepared ahead of time.
It’s almost that time of year—that time to start thinking about what to make for friends and family visiting for the holidays! I’m a little biased, but this gluten free breakfast strata is the perfect thing. It’s healthy, filling, flavorful, serves plenty of people, and you can make it the day before! WIN.
Truthfully, we never ate strata growing up. Instead, my mom would make a healthy amount of eggs, bacon and French toast for my immediate family to enjoy Christmas morning. Breakfast strata always reminds me of the movie, The Family Stone. Have you seen it? It’s one of the only holiday movies Miguel enjoys (I KNOW), so we typically watch it every year. In the movie, the main character (SJP) prepares strata the day before and then the morning of Christmas, she goes to remove it from the refrigerator and ends up spilling the whole dish of raw eggs all over herself. YUM.
Thankfully that didn’t happen to me and my fingers are crossed that it doesn’t happen to you either.
This gluten free breakfast strata is made with gluten free bread, eggs, chicken sausage, and cheese, along with a couple herbs and spices.
Note: if you want to keep this vegetarian, I recommend doubling the amount of herbs/spices; the chicken sausage adds a lot of flavor that will be lost if you omit it, so just add add more herbs and you should be good!
Believe it or not, strata is surprisingly simple to make. You’ll start by breaking the bread into cubes and then toasting it—you don’t want the bread to be full on crouton status, but somewhere between regular bread and croutons is a good place. You’ll also want to cook the chicken sausage at this time. This gluten free breakfast strata serves a lot of people, so believe it or not, it calls for a lot of eggs, 14 to be exact.
In this recipe, the cheese is the glue that holds everything together, so don’t leave it out. I’m sure there are plenty of cheese-free strata recipes, but I think this recipe works best with the cheese.
I hope you give this tasty and super filling breakfast a shot! Looking for another make-ahead breakfast? This pecan pie oatmeal bake is perfect!Print
Gluten Free Breakfast Strata
This gluten free breakfast strata is made with gluten free bread, eggs and cheese and is the perfect make-ahead breakfast to serve guests.
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: strata
- 1 loaf gluten free bread, toasted
- 3 cups almond milk or milk of choice
- 14 eggs, whisked
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 5 oz. (2 cups) mushrooms, sautéed
- 2 chicken sausage links, cooked
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese, cheddar or gruyere
- Optional: chives for topping
- Start by toasting your bread: heat oven to 250° then slice bread into cubes, place them on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 20 minutes or so. You want the bread to be crispy but it doesn’t have to be completely crouton-like (you can if you want, it’ll just take longer to toast).
- Fill a greased 9×13 baking dish with the toasted bread and set aside.
- Next, cook the chicken sausage and mushrooms in a skillet then add them to the baking dish with the bread. At this point, you can also add 2 cups of cheese in as well; stir to combine (I just used my hands).
- Whisk milk, eggs, salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika together in a bowl, then pour the egg mixture overtop of the bread. If you’re making this the day before, cover the baking dish with foil and place it in the refrigerator overnight; then, before baking, sprinkle the extra 1/2 cup cheese over top. If you’re making it now, sprinkle the cheese over top right away.
- Once you’re ready to bake the strata, you can preheat the oven to 350°. At this point your strata should be assembled, so just let it sit for a few minutes while the oven heats up.
- Once oven is heated, bake the strata for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and wait a few minutes before cutting.
- Enjoy with or without chopped chives!
*The amount this recipe yields depends on how big or small you cut the pieces
Keywords: gluten free strata, breakfast strata, chicken sausage strata