This Fried Tortilla Ice Cream Sandwich is made by frying flour tortillas, dipping them in cinnamon sugar and adding ice cream in between. What could be better?!
I guess this week is the week of fried foods, eh? Not on purpose, but from the looks of it, the most memorable Barcelona recipes were fried.
You really can’t go wrong with fried foods, especially in the summertime! Fried foods reminds me of fair food—like elephant ears! Do you know what I’m talking about, or is that an Ohio thing? Elephant ears are basically fried dough dipped in sugar. ….sooo basically like these fried tortillas, now that I think about it!
This recipe is crazy simple, but also just one of those combinations that’s oh-so-memorable. You’ll start by heating up oil in a saucepan; I used olive oil because it’s what I had on hand, but I imagine vegetable oil or avocado oil would work as well. Once the tortillas are fried (this only takes about 10 seconds per side), you’ll wait a few minutes for them to cool off before coating them in cinnamon sugar (the BEST!).
Then, you’ll add your favorite kind of ice cream and drizzle the whole thing with caramel sauce. UGH, yes. The day I made these, I made sure to make a small dinner so Miguel and I could devour these, and it worked! We each ate our own, which doesn’t sound like a lot or all that impressive, but they’re a decent portion size. Nothing too challenging for us, though!
Note: I’ll note this in the actual recipe, but be sure to get FLOUR tortillas, not corn. And, if you want these to be vegan, simply use dairy free ice cream and make my vegan caramel sauce and you’ll be good to go.
Note: if you want you can sub chocolate instead of caramel—MMMMM. Also, you will have to eat these with a fork and knife, just FYI. Or, if you’re like Miguel, with your hands.
If you make these, be sure to tag #thealmondeater on Instagram. I can’t wait to see your creations!Print
Fried Tortilla Ice Cream Sandwich
This Fried Tortilla Ice Cream Sandwich is made by frying tortillas then dipping them in cinnamon sugar and adding ice cream in between. Oh, and don’t forget the caramel sauce!
- 1 1/2–2 cups oil, olive, vegetable or avocado
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 quart your favorite ice cream (I used vanilla bean)
- 2–3 tbsp caramel sauce, or sub melted chocolate
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Wait 1 minute or so, then add 1 tortilla to the oil, frying for approximately 10 seconds on each side and using kitchen tongs to turn the tortilla over. The first one you do may take a little bit longer to fry, and that’s ok.
- Once the tortilla is fried, transfer it into a paper towel and repeat the process until all the tortillas are fried.
- Next, pour sugar and cinnamon out onto a place, and “dip” each tortilla into the mixture. The cinnamon sugar should stick, but if not, use your hands to sprinkle it into the tortillas.
- Next, assemble the sandwiches. Place one tortilla on a plate then add 2-3 scoops of ice cream. Then, place the other tortilla over top and drizzle the whole thing with caramel sauce.