These Tofu Breakfast Tacos are just as easy as they are tasty! An 8-ingredient breakfast that’s packed with protein and ready in 30 minutes or less.
MMMM yup–we’re talking tofu breakfast tacos today folks! Yes, you easily scramble up tofu as a simple egg replacement, and let me tell you, it’s pretty tasty. Do your weekday and weekend breakfasts differ, or do you typically eat the same thing no matter what day of the week it is?
Speaking of breakfast—have you ever eaten tofu for breakfast? What about scrambled tofu? If you’re vegan/vegetarian/a tofu lover, I’m going to guess you have, but if you aren’t any of those things, I bet you’ve dismissed it as a breakfast food. I’m here to tell you to stop dismissing it because it’s really tasty and simple, too. The actual scrambled tofu is only five ingredients, and these tacos are made complete with tomatoes, spinach and—optional yet recommended—a pinch of taco seasoning. If you tend to keep breakfast the same, maybe try switching it up with this tofu breakfast scramble.
HOW TO MAKE TOFU BREAKFAST SCRAMBLE
The one thing you’re going to need in order to make tofu scramble is: tofu. SHOCK. Ok, but what’s next? Well, you’re going to have to press some of the liquid out of the tofu so that the tofu doesn’t get soggy. Here’s how:
With tofu press: if you own a tofu press, this will be the route you take. Simply place the block of tofu inside your tofu press and wait 20-30 minutes for some of the liquid to be pressed out.
Without tofu press: if you don’t own a tofu press, don’t worry! Here’s what you can do: place a towel down on the counter, then place the block of tofu on top. Next, place another towel over the tofu, and then put a cast iron skillet or something equally as heavy on top. Leave it like that for 20-30 minutes, which will help press out some of the excess liquid.
The good news is that, with tofu scramble (vs. fried tofu), you don’t need ALL of the liquid to be pressed out, so a simple 20 minute press should do the trick.
Once the tofu is pressed, you’ll use your hands to crumble it up into a bowl, then you’ll add the seasonings and scramble away!
Whether you need a weekday or weekend breakfast idea, these tofu breakfast tacos are the way to go!
OTHER TOFU RECIPES:
Easy Tofu Breakfast Tacos
- 1 block firm tofu (12 oz.)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Optional: 1/4 tsp taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Lime juice and cilantro to taste
- 4 soft taco shells
- Place tofu on a towel and then place another towel overtop of it, setting something heavy on top to press out excess liquid from the tofu. Leave tofu sit for approximately 20 minutes.
- While tofu is pressing, slice tomatoes and sauté in a skillet with olive oil and spinach.
- Once tofu is pressed, crumble into "scrambled" pieces into a bowl; add nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, and taco seasoning if you wish; stir together.
- Transfer tofu to a skillet and cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for at least 5 minutes or until tofu has absorbed all of the flavors.
- Transfer tofu to taco shells, add tomatoes, spinach, lime juice, and cilantro.