This vegan Garlic Pasta is a nice change of pace for nights when you’ve craving something other than a red sauce pasta. The sauce is made with dairy free butter, milk, nutritional yeast and plenty of garlic to bring tons of flavor to this overall simple recipe.
Who doesn’t love creamy garlic pasta? Exactly! Everyone loves it, and this version is especially delicious even WITHOUT dairy! You guys know I love cheese, but the reason I’ve been so “big” on dairy free lately is because cheese–dairy–doesn’t always love me, if you know what I mean. I still eat it, but I try to make it more of a special occasion thing. Maybe you’re in the same boat?! If so, this vegan pasta recipe is just for you!
WHY THIS VEGAN GARLIC PASTA IS SO GOOD
- It can be made using your favorite pasta, including any of the gluten free (think: chickpea or lentil) pastas available if you want to keep this gluten free
- The sauce is made with ingredients you probably already have on hand, like dairy free butter and milk
- It’s loaded with plenty of garlic flavor, along with some spiciness thanks to the red pepper flakes
GARLIC SAUCE INGREDIENTS
- Dairy free butter – you should be able to find dairy free butter fairly easily, but Whole Foods definitely sells it
- Dairy free milk – any kind will work, but my go-to milks tend to be either oat milk or almond milk
- Cornstarch, or all purpose flour if you’re not gluten free and/or if that’s easier
- Nutritional yeast – it’s a must-have and really makes this pasta taste cheesy
HOW SHOULD I STORE THIS PASTA?
Store this vegan garlic pasta in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If the sauce seems a little less creamy, simply add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite milk to it before reheating it.
CHECK OUT THESE OTHER PASTA RECIPES
Creamy Garlic Pasta
- 1/2 lb. favorite pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes sliced
for the sauce:
- 1/4 cup dairy free butter
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt or more to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta over the stovetop as you normally would.
- While the pasta is cooking, add olive oil and garlic to a skillet and heat over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until garlic becomes fragrant; pour garlic into a bowl and set aside. Next, heat tomatoes in that same skillet for 3-5 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- For the sauce: melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk milk, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Pour garlic and milk mixture into the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 2-3 minutes, allowing mixture to thicken a bit.
- Once pasta is cooked, pour "cheese" sauce overtop and then add the tomatoes. Enjoy!