This Vegan Espresso Mousse is made with coconut milk, espresso powder and fresh cherries and is a tasty, dairy free treat!
I know—how dare I combine three of the best foods into ONE. This chocolate cherry espresso mousse is the perfect post-dinner treat. Trust me, I’d know.
Anything mousse-like is my absolute favorite simply because of the texture—I know you know this, but I can’t stop! Guess what though? This mousse isn’t quite as bad for you because I opted to use coconut milk as a base, rather than anything with dairy in it. Though I’m a fan of cheese, plenty of other dairy products give my stomach issues, so I try to avoid them on a regular basis. Like you know, heavy cream. I love that stuff and have used it in the past when I feel like nothing else will do, but vegan mousse is completely doable and very similar both in taste and texture to regular mousse (or at least I think so!).
So, vegan mousse it is!
Ok so I love chocolate, I love espresso and I love mousse, but I’m not a huuuuuge cherry person, at least not when compared to other summertime fruits. However, I’ll admit that chocolate+cherry go together pretty freaking well. One tip? Buy a cherry pitter! I told myself I was going to last year, but clearly haven’t. It’s one of those absolutely unnecessary items (like a kitchen torch) until it comes time to pit a bunch of cherries. If anyone wants to buy me one that’d be cool.. 😀
Ok so for the espresso, I actually used espresso powder (this one, to be exact), but you could also use cold brew coffee. Tip: I don’t recommend using regular brewed coffee because the flavor isn’t as strong as espresso, just my suggestion though!
As for the base of this mousse, I used canned coconut milk because I like the taste better than coconut cream. If you remember, it works best to refrigerate the can before you open it, that way most of the liquid absorbs into the cream, though I’ll admit I never remember to do this and the mousse still turns out fine.
See the full recipe below for specific instructions on how to make this your new favorite vegan espresso mousse recipe!Print
Chocolate Cherry Vegan Espresso Mousse
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 3/4 cup cherries, pitted
- 1 cup chopped dark chocolate, dairy free for vegan option
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder*
- Begin by pitting the cherries and then distributing them into jars and/or whatever bowl(s) you’ll be serving the mousse in. Don’t use up all of them though, because you’ll want to save some for the topping!
- Next, heat chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until chocolate has melted. Alternatively, you can melt them over the stovetop.
- Turn the can of coconut milk upside down, open it and drain out any liquid that’s sitting at the top, then, pour coconut milk into a large bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate and espresso powder, and use an electric mixer to mix everything together until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pour mousse over top of cherries in the jars/bowls, and then refrigerate the mousse for at least 4 hours.
- Optional: top mousse with vegan whipped cream** and chopped chocolate and enjoy!
*Alternatively, you can use 2 tbsp cold brew coffee, or more to taste
**For the vegan whipped cream, I used half a can of coconut milk with the liquid drained, and then added I believe 2 cups of powdered sugar. I didn’t measure super well–just know that the vegan whipped cream won’t be as thick as regular whipped cream, but it has a nice flavor to it that pairs well perfectly with the mousse!