Caramelized Onion Spaghetti Squash
Onions sautéed with butter and olive oil create this scrumptious Caramelized Onion Spaghetti Squash recipe, complete with mushrooms!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven
- 1 2-3 lb. spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter (I used dairy free)
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced into longer strips if possible
- 1 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 cup kale
- 1/4 tsp rosemary (I used fresh, but dried would work too)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: sprinkle of parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Slice squash in half, remove seeds and place on baking sheet.
- Brush 2 tbsp olive oil on both sides of the squash (1 tbsp per half) and then place face down in the oven.
- While squash is roasting, melt butter and last 2 tbsp oil over medium-high in a large skillet.
- Add onions to skillet, stirring occasionally. After 5 minutes, add mushrooms.
- After approximately 10 minutes, the onions should start to caramelize. If they look like they’re burning at all, add an extra tablespoon of oil.
- Add kale to skillet and continue to stir everything together until onions turn a nice golden brown color.
- After 45 minutes, remove squash from oven and allow 10 or so minutes for it to cool off.
- Once slightly cooler, use a fork to remove “spaghetti” from squash and place in a skillet; add rosemary, salt and pepper and stir everything together.
- Add parmesan cheese if you wish and enjoy!
Keywords: spaghetti squash, vegetarian spaghetti squash, onion spaghetti squash