Enjoy homemade loaded fries! These Caramel Apple Sweet Potato Fries are topped with a healthy caramel sauce, apples, and cinnamon and are a delicious fall-flavored snack.
Guys, I know I’m kind of jumping the gun on this one—it is still August after all—but I’m just too darn excited for September and fall and caramel apples and sweet potatoes and CARAMEL APPLE SWEET POTATO FRIES.
Just so everyone’s aware, I’m not the biggest sweet potato fan. I know, what kind of blogger am I? I feel like I’ve just let everyone down by admitting that. BUT, but but but, there are certain scenarios and food combinations that make sweet potatoes taste amazing, and not surprisingly, my homemade caramel sauce is one of those combinations. If you have the sauce on hand (which you pretty much should at all times), then there’s no excuse not to make these. There’s just not.
And for all those dying to know, yes, I am done with jury duty. Honestly, it wasn’t that bad, though everyone else there acted like they would quite literally rather die than be there. Could.not.deal. Also, Layla turns two tomorrow (!!!) and I’m planning on making her a cake today so I can get it up on the blog in time buuuuut…. not sure that’s going to happen. Regardless of the cake, I can’t believe how time flies! If I think about it long enough I’ll probably start crying so let’s talk about something else pleeeeease.
Yes, back to these. If you’ve made homemade fries before, then you know the longer you bake them, the crispier they’ll get (typically). Well, I’m not saying you can’t make them perfectly crispy—because you can—but there isn’t a total point because as soon as you pour the caramel overtop, their crispiness will diminish a bit. I baked mine for 12 minutes or so on each side, some were crispy and some weren’t, but they all ended up tasting perfect (even for a texture freak like me) once the caramel sauce and apples and cinnamon and pomegranate was added.
Oh! Make sure to slice the potatoes and put the fries in the oven before you caramelize the apples—you can make better use of your time by caramelizing the apples while the potatoes are baking into fries. ….but I’m sure you already knew that!
Alright my fellow fall lovers, I’ll be back tomorrow with a Layla-inspired post. Have a great day!Print
Caramel Apple Sweet Potato Fries
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- For the fries:
- 3 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For the apples:
- 1/2 green apple, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 1–2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- For topping:
- Caramel sauce
- Optional: Pomegranate seeds and crushed pecans
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Once the sweet potatoes have been sliced into thin strips, place them in a bowl and pour coconut oil and cinnamon overtop; stir to coat.
- Place fries on two baking sheets, making sure they’re spread out and not overlapping, and then into the oven. The sheet that’s on the bottom rack will bake faster, so be sure to keep an eye on that one. Bake fries for 12-15 minutes before flipping them over and baking them on the other side.
- While the fries are baking, make the apple topping.
- Place chopped apples, coconut oil and cinnamon in a skillet and cook on medium heat until apples become soft; set aside.
- Once the fries are done, place them on a dish and top them with the cooked apples, caramel sauce, pomegranate seeds, crushed pecans, and additional cinnamon if you wish.