This surprisingly simple Caramel Apple Crepe Cake is made up of crepes filled with mascarpone cheese and topped with apples and a healthy caramel sauce—yum!
What better way to start a Monday than with a super delicious apple crepe cake? No better way friends, no better way. It had been a hot minute since I’d last posted a crepe cake and I was feeling to urge to make another. Plus, I think we’re all just really obsessed with caramel apple these days.
Also, I feel like I blinked and this weekend ended. How does that always happen? Friday night was a much-needed night in spent on the couch, which I must admit are some of my favorite nights (nights in=truffle popcorn and I legit look forward to it. <—sad?). Saturday morning was spent at the barre studio, followed by the creation of this lovely cake and then a night at Penn Brewery with some of my college friends. SUCH a good night followed by a relaxing Sunday. The weather was fall-ish, though still a bit humid and my fingers are crossed this week will be a bit cooler.
Crepe cakes are suuuuuper easy to put together, and crepes are much easier to flip than pancakes (HOLLA). As you may know, I’ve become quite the fan of “regular” cakes and baking in general—more so in the past couple months than ever before—but there’s still so much room for error in baking. With a crepe cake, there’s really no room for error other than making your crepes completely different sizes, which I clearly did but hey! It still stayed together and tasted scrumptious.
Tip: The caramel sauce is my vegan caramel sauce. If you end up using regular butter instead of dairy free butter, the caramel will become much thicker. This is fine, but it won’t be as pourable. If your caramel sauce is too thick, just add a little extra maple syrup and stir really well—that should thin the sauce out a bit.
Tip: Don’t pour all of the caramel sauce overtop of the cake like I did. I did it more for the photos, but in actuality, the crepes soak up the caramel pretty well so that you don’t really have a ton of sauce leftover. I’d recommend keeping the sauce separate and pouring it overtop of your individual piece of cake before you’re going to eat it (but obviously you can do what you want!).
All I gotta say is, cheers to fall and cheers to caramel apple EVERYTHING, but especially caramel apple crepe cake.Print
Caramel Apple Crepe Cake
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 1 cake 1x
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp raw cane sugar (or white sugar)
- 3 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter (regular or dairy free), melted
- 3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8.8 oz. mascarpone cheese for filling
- 1–2 apple, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Salted caramel sauce
- For the crepes: combine flour, sugar and cinnamon together in a large bowl; set aside.
- Next, melt butter and coconut oil together in a saucepan or in the microwave; set aside for a few minutes, allowing them to cool a bit.
- Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together in a bowl; stir in oil and butter.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix really well.
- Pour batter a little at a time onto a nonstick skillet and cook the same way you would pancakes, waiting until the batter starts to bubble before carefully flipping the crepe over. Repeat this process until the batter is gone.
- For the apples: chop an apple into small, bite-size pieces and place it in a small skillet with coconut oil and cinnamon. Cook until apple is soft and set aside.
- To assemble: place one crepe on a plate or cake stand and then smear 1-2 tbsp (I didn’t measure) of mascarpone cheese on top, placing another crepe on top of the cheese spread. Repeat this process until your cake is formed.
- Top the cake with cooked apples and pour a small amount of caramel sauce overtop.
- Cut and enjoy!