These 3 ingredient Bourbon Banana Pancakes are just what your morning needs! Plenty of banana flavor plus a bit of bourbon, pecans and brown sugar.
Three words: bourbon. banana. pancakes. Ok, ok SIX words: bourbon banana pancakes on the weekend!
I made these last weekend and Miguel devoured them after finishing his run. So yeah, these are a perfect post workout meal. Scrape off the bananas and save ‘em for dessert (<—not the worst idea ever).
I’m pretty pumped for this weekend because I have zero plans, and zero plan weekends are the most productive weekends. I know that makes me sound like a hermit, but I almost always have weekend plans, so to have a full weekend to myself sounds kind of magical.
Scratch that. I have plans tonight that I just remembered. Best friend award right here! Well, besides tonight I have the whole weekend to spend making recipes, taking photos, watching TV and devouring these bourbon banana pancakes (again).
This recipe came to me as I was looking for a way to use up my overly ripe bananas. Banana bread is my go-to for ripe bananas, but I had four ripe bananas and many banana bread recipes only call for two. Oh what a dilemma! I love these pancakes because they’re just THREE ingredients with tons of banana flavor. If I’m gong to make banana pancakes, I want the flavor to really shine through.
For this recipe, you’ll start by combining two bananas with 3 eggs and the flour of your choice** ** by “flour of your choice” I mean to say that I’ve used all purpose, whole wheat, and oat flour, both regular and gluten free. I’ve never used coconut or almond flour BUT I feel like they’d work if you want to make these paleo. You may need to use a bit more flour if opting to use coconut or almond.
As you’re making the pancakes, you can also start to caramelize the bananas and pecans by adding them to a skillet with coconut oil, bourbon and brown sugar. HELL YES. Oh! Super unnecessary, but I also added crushed gingersnaps on top because WHY NOT?!
Ripe bananas—>banana pancakes. DO IT!
- For the pancakes:
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour*
- For the topping:
- 2 ripe bananas sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 oz. bourbon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Optional: 2-3 gingersnap cookies crushed
- For the pancakes, use a fork to mash bananas in a bowl, mashing really well. Add eggs and flour and whisk ingredients together.
- Spray a skillet with nonstick spray or coconut oil and pour a small amount of batter into the skillet to form a pancake. Wait until batter starts to form small bubbles and then carefully flip pancake over and cook the other side. Repeat this process until batter is gone.
- For the topping: Add sliced bananas, pecans, coconut oil, and bourbon in a skillet and heat over medium, stirring occasionally. After a minute or two, add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Place topping on stack of pancakes, douse in maple syrup and enjoy!
- Feel free to double this recipe if you want/need more pancakes!