Apple Cranberry Scones
These apple cranberry scones are vegan-friendly, filled with apples and topped with a sweet cranberry glaze.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 8 scones
- Category: breakfast
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: scones
for the scones:
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp dairy free butter, cold
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed meal+ 2 1/2 tbsp water)
- 2 tbsp dairy free butter, melted
- 1/2 cup almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple, chopped
for the cranberry syrup:
- 1/2 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp sugar
for the glaze:
- 2 tbsp cranberry syrup
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Start by making your flax egg: combine flaxseed meal and water together in a small dish, stir, then wait a few minutes for the “egg” to form.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; then, cut in the cold butter and use a pastry blender or your hands to mix them together (this should take 1-2 mins).
- Next, add flax egg, melted butter, milk, and vanilla to that bowl and stir to combine. Last, stir in the chopped apples. The dough should be sticky!
- Flour a flat surface then place dough on that surface and use your hands to form it into a 1″ thick circle. Use a floured knife to cut dough into 8 scones, then place them on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Brush scones with a little melted butter then bake scones for 20-25 minutes.
- While scones are baking, make the cranberry glaze: combine cranberries, water and sugar in a saucepan over high heat. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon to help break down the cranberries.
- Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer and discard the smashed cranberries. Pour 2 tbsp cranberry syrup into a bowl, then add the powdered sugar and whisk to combine (either by hand or with an electric mixer).
- Once scones are done and have cooled for a few minutes, drizzle the glaze over top.
Keywords: cranberry scones, apple scones, vegan scones