This Apple Butter Pizza is both salty and sweet and topped with cheese, butternut squash, apples, prosciutto, and a drizzle of honey.
I feel weird posting a pizza recipe on a Thursday, yet here I am. Typically Fridays=pizza, always, but like I said Monday, I’m trying to be a little more flexible with my posting schedule. And while we’re on the subject of pizza, Miguel and I sort of got out of our weekly pizza when we did Whole30, which I can’t decide if I love or hate. However, since we haven’t been making and eating pizza weekly, I’ve noticed that pizza tastes extra good on the days when I do eat it. The cheese, the crust! It’s all so delicious. This apple butter pizza is my version of a fall pizza, and despite how it sounds, it’s very salty AND sweet.
Salty and sweet—really venturing outside my comfort zone here. …..not. Don’t be mad! You know it’s just my favorite. We’ve got butternut squash, cheese and prosciutto for the salty and apple butter, apples, pomegranate seeds, and a drizzle of honey for the sweet.
Also, I just realized that I’ve been on an apple kick this year much more so than pumpkin. You too? It’s not that I don’t love pumpkin—I do—but I feel like my pumpkin obsession phase lasts for a few weeks, whereas I can pretty much eat apples all year round. They’re versatile, delicious on their own, really delicious with nut butter, and maybe the most delicious on pizza. Pumpkin, well…not as much.
Ugh, when did I become such a pumpkin hater? I’m not! But today is all about apples and apple butter. I bought mine from Giant Eagle, so I’m assuming most stores carry apple butter, and if not, I’m very certain it’s easy to make your own homemade apple butter.
Even though it’s Thursday and not Friday, you can still enjoy this apple butter pizza. Yes really!
Apple Butter Pizza
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 4-6 tbsp apple butter
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese*
- 1 apple sliced
- 1/2 cup butternut squash cut into bite-size pieces
- 3-4 slices prosciutto
- 2 tbsp goat cheese
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Optional: drizzle of honey and sprinkle of asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Flour a flat surface and then use your hands or a rolling pin to roll out the pizza dough; transfer to a baking sheet.
- Spread apple butter on dough, and then top it with the cheese, apple, butternut squash, and prosciutto. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake pizza for 20 minutes or so; then remove from the oven and add the goat cheese and place pizza back in the oven for an additional 5-10 minutes or until crust is golden on the edges.
- Sprinkle pizza with pomegranate seeds and drizzle with honey before serving.