Buttercream Walnut Thumbprint Cookies
These walnut thumbprint cookies are topped with walnuts, filled with colorful buttercream icing and make for an awesome addition to your holiday cookie collection.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 18-20 cookies
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: cookies
for the cookies:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Diamond Nuts In-Shell Walnuts, roasted then divided
for the buttercream:
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- A few drops red and/or green food coloring
- Start by roasting the walnuts if you haven’t already*; then, put them in your food processor and pulse for about 30 seconds; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together, then add egg and vanilla and stir to combine. Next, combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Stir HALF of the walnuts (approx. 1/2 cup) into the dough. Roll dough into balls then roll the balls into the remaining crushed walnuts and place them 2 inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes; then, remove them from the oven and carefully use your thumb to press a thumbprint into the center of each cookie. Place cookies back into the oven and bake for an additional 2-4 minutes. Remove cookies from oven and onto a cooling rack.
- While cookies are cooling, make the buttercream. Whisk butter and milk together, then add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth. If you choose to add food coloring, do so as this time. Wait until the cookies have cooled before adding the buttercream.
- You may pipe the icing or simply use a spoon to scoop it into the center of each cookie.
*If you’re not using in-shell walnuts, this step is optional
Keywords: thumbprints, thumbprint cookies, walnut thumbprints