Blackberry Lavender Almond Cake
This blackberry lavender almond cake is made with almond extract and topped with blackberry lavender mascarpone whipped cream icing.
- Prep Time: 35 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
- Yield: 1 cake
- Category: dessert
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: cake
for the cake:
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups+2 tbsp sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk or milk of choice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: toasted almonds and/or blackberries for topping
for the blackberry lavender syrup:
- 1 container (6 oz.) blackberries
- 2 tbsp culinary lavender
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
for the icing:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz. mascarpone
- 1/2 cup blackberry lavender syrup
- Optional: purple food coloring**
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease three 8″ cake pans and set aside*
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together; then, add eggs, oil, milk, water, almond extract, and vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Last, combine wet and dry ingredients then pour batter evenly into cake pans.
- Bake cakes for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Wait 10 minutes or so, then carefully invert cakes onto a cooling rack and wait for them to cool completely before icing.
- While cakes are cooling, make the syrup. Add all ingredients to a saucepan and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon or spatula to break down the blackberries. After 10 minutes, pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer, saving the juice or syrup (whatever you want to call it) and discarding the blackberries and lavender. Set syrup aside.
- For the icing: whisk whipping cream for approximately 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Then, add the sugar and mascarpone and whisk again for another minute before adding in the blackberry lavender syrup. The icing should be soft and fluffy like whipped cream.
- To assemble: set one of the cakes on your cake stand, then place a dollop of icing on top and use a rubber spatula to smooth icing out, then place a second cake on top and repeat this process. Feel free to add toasted almonds and/or blackberries on top of the top cake for added flavor and texture.
- Cut and enjoy!
*I like to use circular parchment paper on the bottom of my pans to make sure the cake doesn’t stick. You can buy circle parchment paper or simply trace your pie pans and cut circles out. It makes the cake-making process a little longer but I can always rest easy knowing my cakes are going to easily come out of the pans.
**Feel free to add a little purple food coloring if you want the icing to be more purple.
Keywords: almond cake, lavender cake, lavender almond cake, dessert