This One Pot Tomato Soup is made with simple ingredients and is even more filling thanks to the addition of gluten free pasta.
My one pot tomato soup recipe is here and I’m SO EXCITED ABOUT IT! Does tomato soup remind you of your childhood? For me, it reminds me of college because THAT’S when I started truly enjoying and appreciating all that is tomato soup. It’s creamy and flavorful and pairs so perfectly will a grilled cheese sandwich. But you know what would make tomato soup even better?
Pasta. Correction: gluten free Chickapea pasta.
Yes really! The addition of pasta helps to make tomato soup even more filling and nutritious. Chickapea pasta is made from just chickpeas and lentils and doesn’t taste like gluten free pasta (it’s so good!). Let’s walk through this recipe because it’s really easy—I mean, hellooooo one pot tomato soup!
As you might suspect, you’re simply going to combine all the ingredient except for the pasta into one large pot. You’ll bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, which will allow the tomatoes to break down. Once the tomatoes are soft, you’ll do one of two things 1) use an immersion blender to blend up the soup in the pot or, if you don’t own an immersion blender, you’ll 2) pour soup into a blender and blend the soup until it’s smooth.
Now comes the good part. Once the soup is blended, you’ll add the pasta in with the soup and boil the entire mixture for no more than 10 minutes, allowing the pasta to cook.
….and that’s about it!
One thing I need to mention is that this tomato soup recipe had harissa in it, which gives it a punch of flavor and spice. I was able to find harissa paste at the store—and I will say that a little bit goes a long way—but if you can’t find any, you can leave it out and this recipe will still be delicious. Alternatively, I believe they make harissa seasoning, but I don’t have an exact measurement for that, so you’ll have to do a few taste tests to get it to be to your exact spice preference.
If you’re a tomato soup fan, I think you’ll love this one pot tomato soup, aka MY take on tomato soup. If you’re looking for another tasty and filling soup recipe, be sure to check out my creamy cauliflower soup.Print
One Pot Tomato Soup
This one pot tomato soup is made using fresh ingredients and gluten free pasta for a healthy and hearty meal!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: lunch
- Method: saucepan
- Cuisine: soup
- 5 vine ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1-2 tbsp harissa paste*
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups Chickapea pasta shells
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, and oil to a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Next, add tomato paste, harissa, oregano, broth, water, salt, and pepper to the saucepan and bring mixture to a boil. Then, cover and reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything in the saucepan until smooth. Alternatively, you can pour everything into a blender and blend until smooth. If you use a blender, pour soup back into the saucepan afterward.
- Add pasta and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until pasta is soft.
- Pour soup into bowls, add a drizzle of milk (optional) and enjoy!
*Depending on how spicy you want it to be. You can also completely omit the harissa if you don’t want the soup to be spicy.
Keywords: tomato soup, spicy tomato soup, harissa tomato soup, one pot soup