This Paleo Beef Broccoli comes together in no time and is made with broccoli stem noodles, keeping it gluten free, dairy free and still so flavorful.
I’ve been toying with doing another Whole30 recently. But, it’s summertime and it’s hard to commit to no sugar/alcohol, so for now I’m just enjoying a few paleo-friendly meals in between all the dessert. Makes sense to me. But in all honesty, I’m thinking the fall might be a little easier, and I also think it helps to have someone doing it with you, so I need to get Miguel on board.
The reason I enjoyed doing Whole30 so much is because it really brought to light the amount of sugar I was consuming. I noticed a drastic decrease in my sugar cravings in the months following, so I think it would be a nice reset for me.
But again, not right now, because… ice cream! But today’s paleo broccoli beef is gluten free and dairy free, but it’s not necessarily Whole30, though it easily could be.
What I mean is that I used one tablespoon of sugar in the sauce, but if you’re doing Whole30, you could easily omit that sugar. I do think it adds to the flavor (….which is why I added it), but it’s not completely necessary.
Oh! And how can we not talk about broccoli stem noodles?! Have you tried them? I first learned of the idea through Ali, and now I’m obsessed. It reminds me of when I use carrot tops to make carrot top hummus or pesto—using the broccoli stems is a great way to promote zero waste, plus I think I like the taste better than zucchini noodles?!! WHOA, bold statement.
So basically this paleo beef broccoli is juuuuust like regular beef broccoli but with a slightly thicker sauce and with double the broccoli thanks to the broccoli stem noodles. I’m not complaining!Print
Paleo Beef Broccoli with Broccoli Stem Noodles
This Paleo Beef Broccoli comes together in no time and uses broccoli stem noodles to make this guilt-free, flavorful dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: dinner
- Method: oven, stovetop
- Cuisine: meat
- 2 heads broccoli, stems removed and set aside
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. sirloin beef, sliced
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour of choice
- 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Optional: red pepper flakes and cilantro for topping
for the sauce:
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup tamari*
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar**
- 1 tbsp gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place broccoli florets on a baking sheet, drizzle them with 2 tbsp olive oil and roast for 15-2o minutes.
- Next, take the broccoli stems and run them through your spiralizer with a thin blade; set aside.
- Make the sauce! Simply whisk all sauce ingredients together in a bowl then set aside.
- Coat beef with the 2 tbsp flour, then heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet and add beef and 2 garlic cloves. Sear for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until the steak is done to your liking. Once beef is cooked, keep the skillet on the stovetop but turn off the heat. Then, add the sauce to the beef and stir so that the beef is completely coated in sauce.
- In a separate skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 garlic clove, mushrooms and ginger to the skillet over medium heat, and cook until mushrooms are slightly browned, approx. 3 minutes. Then add the broccoli noodles and stir for no more than 2 minutes. You don’t want the noodles to be too soggy, you just want to warm them up a bit.
- Last, assemble the plate! Pour broccoli noodles onto a plate and then add the roasted broccoli and cooked beef with sauce.
*or sub soy sauce
**may omit this if you’re trying to keep this low sugar
Keywords: paleo broccoli, paleo beef, broccoli stem noodles