These French Toast Sticks are a great way to switch up your breakfast, especially when they’re paired with cherry whipped cream.
As of today, I’ve decided that french toast sticks are so much better/cooler/more fun than regular ‘ole french toast. I mean, I love french toast, but these sticks PLUS the cherry whipped cream? This is THE way to do it.
How do we feel about cherries? Love ‘em? Meh? I’m a little more in the ‘meh’ category myself. I KNOW, it’s a crime (at least according to everyone I’ve ever talked to). I think I’d like them better if I didn’t have to either A) pit them before eating them or B) spit out the pit. It just feels like a lot of work.
But, every summer I do crave cherries—or at least a cherry recipe—a few times, so here’s my first one of the summer: french toast sticks with CHERRY whipped cream!
This is one of those recipes that looks and sounds kind of fancy but is actually quite basic. The french toast sticks are made the exact same way but you’ll slice the bread first before cooking it. As for the whipped cream, I used heavy whipping cream and whipped it with my mixer, which takes 5 minutes or less.
The most “complicated” (read: hardly complicated) part is making the cherry juice. You’ll want to add cherries to a small saucepan with a little lemon or orange juice and then allow them to simmer for a bit until cherry juice forms; then, you’ll strain the cherries and be left with juice that you can then add to the whipped cream.
Tip: As for the cherries, it might be nice to use fresh—which you totally can—but know that you’ll have to pit them first, so that’ll take a little longer than it will to just use frozen cherries. Up to you though!
I hope you give this simple, summery recipe a try! This won’t be the last time you’ll be seeing french toast sticks on this site—I’m hooked!Print
French Toast Sticks with Cherry Whipped Cream
These French Toast Sticks are a fun way to switch up breakfast, especially when paired with cherry whipped cream!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2
- Category: breakfast
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: french toast
for the french toast:
- 4 slices of bread (I used Challah bread), sliced into “sticks”
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: maple syrup and sliced almonds for topping
for the cherries:
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cherries, pitted
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon or orange
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
for the whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- Begin by making the cherry juice: add cherries, lemon/orange juice and sugar to a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 5-10 minutes, or until cherries have broken down a bit and there’s liquid in the pan.
- While the cherries are heating, make the whipped cream by combining the cream and sugar in your mixing bowl and mixing until stiff peaks form, approximately 5 minutes.
- Next, pour the cherries through a fine mesh strainer directly over the whipped cream so that the cherry juice is now over the whipped cream; then, stir the juice into the cream.
- Now you can make the french toast. Dip the bread into the egg mixture and place directly into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bread on both sides until done, and repeat this process until all the french toast sticks are cooked.
- Scoop whipped cream either over or under the french toast sticks, then sprinkle everything with extra cinnamon, maple syrup and sliced almonds (optional).
Keywords: french toast, french toast sticks, cherry whipped cream