This Garlic Ginger Bok Choy features roasted bok choy topped with sautéed garlic shiitake mushrooms for a tasty side dish.
I am so so so obsessed with this garlic ginger bok choy, and while I can’t claim that it’s better or more exciting than a bananas foster sandwich, it is healthier and therefore probably something you’ll make and eat more often. Right?? Just roll with it.
Also the Super Bowl is this weekend and here I am sharing bok choy because THAT’S how “with it” I am. Very, very with it. I was debating making a wings recipe—ok, I still am—but then I thought that might be too cliche. Wings and football? I mean…yeah. But I’m already seeing everyone post football recipes up on their blogs and on Instagram and am getting FOMO, so if you see me post a wings recipe in the next few days, just know that it’s football’s fault.
And if you don’t, just know that the intention was there, and that’s what really counts.
I’ve recently decided that I love sautéed mushrooms but only if they’re paired with garlic. So, maybe I really just love garlic. No, no, I love mushrooms, I do, and these shiitake ones crisp up in the skillet! I’m not sure if white mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms do that—I should probably experiment—but shiitake mushrooms absolutely do and they’re perfect. Not only are they paired with garlic, but with ginger too.
Basically I decided we needed something on the lighter side after sharing a few desserts. Plus, who doesn’t love a good greens side dish? You essentially roast this bok choy in the oven for 5-10 minutes while sautéing the mushrooms in a skillet. Then, you pour the mushrooms over the bok choy and eat it up for lunch or a side dish or ya know, whenever! SO GOOD.Print
Garlic Ginger Bok Choy with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- 1 bunch bok choy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- For the mushrooms:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger, or more to taste
- Pinch salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Next, heat oil in a large skillet, add mushrooms and stir over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, lay bok choy out onto two baking sheets, drizzle with olive oil and place then into the oven, roasting for 5-10 minutes (I recommend checking after 5 minutes!).
- Once mushrooms have been cooking for about 3 minutes, add the garlic and ginger and stir for an additional 5 minutes or so until the mushrooms turn golden brown.
- Remove bok choy from the oven, transfer to a plate and pour mushroom mixture overtop.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and enjoy!