This Spicy Sausage and Potato Soup is made with potatoes and plenty of smoked paprika for a slightly spicy and hearty soup.
If there’s one food that makes me feel all warm and cozy, it’s soup, and seeing as the weather has been in the 30s in Pittsburgh recently, I can use as much soup as possible.
Question: where do you stand on the holiday decor before Thanksgiving debate? I personally don’t own a ton of decor, mostly because there’s zero storage space in my apartment, but growing up we’d always wait until the day after Thanksgiving to put up any Christmas decorations, our tree, and to start listening to Christmas music. ….though just typing the words “Christmas music” makes me want to play some later this afternoon. Hey, maybe I will! Wild and crazy per the usual over here.
Second question: how often do you make homemade soup vs. eating it from a can? I’m not against canned soup—perfect when you’re in a pinch—but homemade soup just tastes so much better, and most soups (at least the ones I make) are ready in 30-40 minutes TOTAL, and there will always be leftovers. This spicy kale soup is made with chorizo sausage (or andouille sausage works too) and uses smoked paprika to add plenty of flavor to the broth. Then, it has plenty of tomatoes and kale, making this soup hearty and delicious.
Tip: I’ll admit I didn’t do an exact measurement of the potatoes. I used one full mesh bag of potatoes—either the yellow creamer or Yukon gold potatoes—which I believe is 1 lb. I recommend using smaller potatoes rather than full size Idaho potatoes, only because they’re faster to prepare.
My second tip is a no-brainer, but you should serve this sausage and potato soup with bread! I mean, obviously because soup and bread are a must.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chorizo or andouille sausage links, casing removed
- ¾ cup yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup carrot, diced
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. potatoes*, diced
- 2 cups kale, stems removed
- 1-2 tsp smoked paprika**
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes; set sausage inside.
- In that same skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil, reduce heat to medium, and then add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the potatoes and kale and paprika, stirring to combine, and then pour chicken broth into the skillet.
- Bring broth to a low boil, and cover the skillet and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer soup until potatoes are cooked, and then add the cooked sausage back into the skillet; stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and top soup with fresh parsley.
**Feel free to add more paprika depending on how spicy you want the soup to be.