These Caramel Apple Muffins are made with whole wheat flour, filled with apples and topped with a simple buttery crumb topping. Perfect for breakfast OR dessert!
I don’t know about you, but weekend baking is definitely happening. Miguel will be away at drill for the Army all day today, so that means I’ll get to create a couple of recipes—finally! Now the big question is what to make? No clue, honestly, but I have a running list of recipes I want to make, so it’s usually as simple as just picking a few from the list! And by “simple” I really mean it’s not simple at all because I’m incredibly indecisive, but you know.
Can we also talk about how someone mentioned Halloween to me the other day and my first thought was that they were weird for already thinking about Halloween. …..except that it’s next weekend. WHAT. We don’t usually do anything for Halloween—like, nothing—and I’m not expecting this year to be much different. Miguel hates dressing up probably as much as I hate mustard, which is why in the 7 years we’ve been together, I think we’ve only dressed up once? That’s sad, isn’t it? I blame him for having zero Halloween spirit.
Circling back around to my “finally making recipes this weekend” comment, I made these caramel apple muffins weeks ago, and I can’t believe I’m just now sharing them. They’re made with whole wheat flour, filled with apples and walnuts, and topped with a simple buttery crumb topping. Oh! And if you want to take them to the next level, simply drizzle them with caramel sauce. You can’t go wrong with caramel. Also the caramel kind of makes these muffins more of a dessert and less of a breakfast, which I’m always on board with since you know eggs are my breakfast of choice.
If you need a fall-inspired breakfast, or even if you’re just tired of all things PUMPKIN, give these caramel apple muffins a shot.
Happy Friday, friends!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk (I used almond, but any milk should work)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup shredded apple
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- For the crumb topping:
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter
- Optional: ½ cup apple, chopped into bite-size pieces
- For the drizzle:
- Caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, syrup, melted coconut oil, applesauce, and vanilla together.
- Use a large spoon to combine wet and dry ingredients, and then stir in the shredded apple and walnuts.
- Line a muffin tin with muffin liners and distribute batter evenly amongst them.
- Next, make the crumb topping by combining all ingredients in a bowl and then stirring them with your hand to form the crumb topping. Sprinkle the crumbs on top of the muffin batter.
- Bake muffins for 20-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the oven and wait a few minutes before taking them out of the muffin tin.
- Top with caramel sauce and/or a simple sugar glaze made with powdered sugar and 1-2 tbsp of milk.