This Blood Orange Fool may just be the easiest dessert ever! It’s made with five ingredients, comes together in about 15 minutes and looks super fancy.
Let me introduce you to the easiest dessert ever known to man: FOOL.
Oh, you’ve already heard of it? Ok well I hadn’t until I stumbled upon a recipe on Pinterest and thought ‘what? that’s it? I could do that!’
Also, this blood orange fool is absolutely on the same flavor wavelength as my almond pancakes with satsuma compote. Almond+orange—I’m into it.
Welp, ‘This Is Us’ started back up last night—did you watch it? DON’T TELL ME WHAT HAPPENED. I’ve been trying to go to bed around 10 lately and I’ve been doing a pretty fantastic job, so Miguel and I will be catching up with the show tonight. But yes, I’m excited. Admittedly, my favorite way to wind down most nights is with TV, and it’s especially nice if it’s a show I genuinely enjoy.
So what is “fool” you ask? Well, well, well let me tell YOU. It’s essentially heavy whipping cream whipped and whipped into a creamy texture (stiff peaks) and then combined with sugar and fruit. Like, that’s it. I decided to be the slightest bit fancy and add a bit of almond extract (obsessed) and mascarpone as well, which gives this recipe a thicker texture and even better flavor (in my opinion).
The real trick is being patient with the heavy whipping cream while you’re getting it to form stiff peaks. I don’t have a stand mixer (one day!!), so I just used my electric mixer and it took a good four minutes or so.
Tip: start on low for two minutes before beating the cream on high. You want the cream to be cold, aka fresh out of the refrigerator, and beating on low will allow the cream to stay cooler longer. ALSO, if you happen to remember, stick your beaters in the freezer for an hour or so before you make this, which will also help the whipping cream whip into whipped cream (WHOA say that five times fast).
Last thing: the pomegranate seeds are completely optional. I loved adding them, but if you don’t have any on hand/can’t find the seeds alone, you can omit them. The main flavor is the orange and almond for sure.
Ok that’s it! Enjoy you fool, fools! <—had to.Print
Blood Orange Fool
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2-3
- 3 blood oranges, peeled
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or sub honey)
- 8 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Place oranges and syrup in a saucepan and bring to a boil; lower to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes or so.
- Remove oranges from stove and place HALF of them in a blender; blend until smooth and set aside.
- Whip the whipping cream with a standing or electric mixer until it forms stiff peaks (start on low and then put mixer on high–also, be patient! This could take a few minutes).
- Add in the mascarpone and almond extract and mix to combine.
- The final step is the presentation: layer whipped cream, blended fruit and whole fruit into two or three cups until everything is gone.
- Top with crushed almonds and pomegranate seeds (optional).