These Tofu Breakfast Tacos are just as easy as they are tasty! An 8-ingredient breakfast that’s packed with protein and ready in 30 minutes or less.
MMMM yup–we’re talking tofu breakfast tacos today folks!
Do your weekday and weekend breakfasts differ, or do you typically eat the same thing no matter what day of the week it is?
I wish I could say my weekend breakfasts were fancy. Let’s play pretend..
It’s 8 am Saturday morning, aka the ideal time to wake up on a weekend in my opinion. I wake up peppy AF (<<not pretend—I’m much friendlier in the mornings than in the evenings) and stroll over to my refrigerator/pantry. I then proceed to make pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, avocado toast, a green smoothie with a side of cinnamon rolls.
…except not because that’s not what my weekend breakfasts look like. If yours look anything like that, please invite me over.
Though I don’t have anywhere I have to be most weekend mornings, I enjoy getting to the grocery store early before the rush. I thrive on it like I imagine other geeky food bloggers do. So, therefore I treat Saturday morning breakfasts the same as all the others. That is, Miguel makes breakfast.
I know—so sweet—except it’s only because he claims I suck at making eggs, which is only slightly offensive since I’m a blogger and whatnot, but hey, can’t complain about someone making me breakfast I suppose.
Speaking of breakfast—have you ever eaten tofu for breakfast? What about scrambled tofu? If you’re vegan/vegetarian/a tofu lover, I’m going to guess you have, but if you aren’t any of those things, I bet you’ve dismissed it as a breakfast food. I’m here to tell you to stop dismissing it because it’s really tasty and simple, too. The actual scrambled tofu is only five ingredients, and these tacos are made complete with tomatoes, spinach and—optional yet recommended—a pinch of taco seasoning.
Though the whole “scrambled” part takes less than 10 minutes, but you will need to drain some of the water from the tofu, which takes at least 20 minutes. How-e-ver, because we’re just scrambling it, you don’t have to be as precise as you would if we were frying it or trying to make it crispy. Crispy scrambled tofu just sounds weird. Once the water is drained, you crumble the tofu up, add the seasoning, and scramble away! Yep, that easy.
Whether you need a weekday or weekend breakfast idea, these tofu breakfast tacos are the way to go!Print
Easy Tofu Breakfast Tacos
These Tofu Breakfast Tacos are just as easy as they are tasty. An 8-ingredient breakfast recipe that’s packed with protein and ready in 30 minutes or less!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4
- Category: breakfast
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: tacos
- 1 block firm tofu (12 oz.)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Optional: 1/4 tsp taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Lime juice and cilantro to taste
- 4 soft taco shells
- Place tofu on a towel and then place another towel overtop of it, setting something heavy on top to press out excess liquid from the tofu. Leave tofu sit for approximately 20 minutes.
- While tofu is pressing, slice tomatoes and sauté in a skillet with olive oil and spinach.
- Once tofu is pressed, crumble into “scrambled” pieces into a bowl; add nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, and taco seasoning if you wish; stir together.
- Transfer tofu to a skillet and cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for at least 5 minutes or until tofu has absorbed all of the flavors.
- Transfer tofu to taco shells, add tomatoes, spinach, lime juice, and cilantro.
Keywords: tofu, tofu tacos, tofu breakfast, tofu breakfast tacos
Q: Are you a tofu-eater? What do your weekday vs weekend breakfasts typically look like?