These strawberry quinoa parfaits combine quinoa, yogurt, honey flavored granola, and strawberries for one healthy and protein-packed and dairy-free breakfast.
Strawberries seem to be my favorite fruit lately. First in this smoothie, then on these brownies and now on top of these parfaits! What’s with me?! I think it’s that it’s wintertime and therefore not ‘technically’ strawberry season, which makes me crave them even more. In the summertime I crave apples and in the wintertime I crave berries—any and all kinds of berries. But lately, strawberries have been my fruit of choice.
Occasionally I get a little tired of my usual breakfast (i.e. eggs, chicken sausage, spinach, and toast). GASP, I know wtf?! It’s true. And when that happens, I’m usually a bit stumped of what to eat instead. What do non-egg eaters eat for breakfast? Waffles? Pancakes? I ain’t got time for that, especially not during the week. But a parfait of some sort? Yes. A parfait with protein-packed quinoa? YAAAS. I made these the night before, left them in the refrigerator overnight just like I would with overnight oats, and in the morning I didn’t have to spend a single second on breakfast. Score!
So what’s with these parfaits—what’s in them? Wellllll there’s quinoa mixed with dairy-free vanilla yogurt, then a layer of honey granola, then another layer of the quinoa-yogurt mix, then the whole thing is topped with strawberries and extra honey. Besides my recent strawberry obsession, this flavor combo was inspired by my go-to green smoothie of strawberries, banana, spinach, and honey. Trust me people, strawberries and honey are a winning combo.
Besides a strawberry breakfast parfait you could also make a strawberry dessert parfait by subbing the honey for chocolate chips. Juuuuuust saying 😉 So whether you’re tired of eggs and looking for new kind of protein-packed breakfast or simply just want to switch it up, these strawberry quinoa parfaits are where it’s at!
Oh, oh, oh! Today is the LAST day to enter for FREE classes at The Barre Code Pittsburgh! Locals can enter here.
- ½ cup quinoa
- ¼ cup+2 tbsp dairy-free yogurt-plain or vanilla (I used So Delicious unsweetened vanilla)
- ¼ cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Approx. 4 strawberries, sliced
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Cook quinoa in a pot over the stovetop according to the instructions on the bag. **Make sure to rinse quinoa before cooking**
- While the quinoa is cooking, place oats on a nonstick baking sheet (or use nonstick spray) and drizzle honey overtop. Place granola in the oven for 10 minutes*.
- Once quinoa is done cooking, place in a bowl and stir in the yogurt and chia seeds.
- Remove the granola from the oven (if you haven't already). Add quinoa layer first, then granola, then oats. Or, simply mix everything together in a cup.
- Add strawberries and extra honey overtop.
- Enjoy immediately or place in refrigerator overnight and enjoy the next morning!
Q: Do you eat fruit even when it’s out of season? What fruit have you been obsessed with lately?