These delicious cranberry orange muffins are gluten free, dairy free and topped with a flavorful orange glaze for added sweetness.
OH MY GOSH guess what?! IT’S FRIDAY. But guess what else? Layla’s finally learned to walk up AND down the stairs! Ya see, when Miguel and I moved last year we moved for the sole purpose of getting a dog. ….which is why we decided to live on the third floor. Clearly not a well thought out plan for when you’re planning on getting a pup. Up until this past Wednesday, I was having to carry Layla, my 30 lb dog, down the stairs. She would walk up them no problem, but got scared every time she tried to walk down them. But, with a little extra training, I’m proud to announce that she can now walk up and down three flights of stairs.
In non puppy news, these muffins lasted all of two days and then POOF, they were gone.
I still had a few blood oranges left after making this chicken, so I decided to incorporate them into muffins too. I’m basically obsessed with orange zest—orange zest+chocolate or zest+white chocolate and now zest+cranberry—I can’t get enough. It just adds that extra punch of flavor that I adore. I have to be honest though… It’s the orange glaze that kinda sorta steals the show.
The orange glaze is made up of powdered sugar, almond milk and orange extract. Have you ever used orange extract before? It’s kinda sorta like vanilla extract only orange. ….duh. Anyway, I’m going to start using it in all my “orange” baked goods. It’s one of those ‘a little bit goes a long way’ type things. A drop of orange extract adds a ton of flavor to the glaze. Woo!
Oh and bonus, these muffins are gluten free and dairy free 😀
Besides it being Friday and Layla walking up the steps and these delicious muffins, another exciting thing is that Ang and I are hanging out tonight after hot yoga. I haven’t seen her since Christmas, so I’m excited to finally catch up. Phew, what a day. I’m excited. I hope you all have a fabulous Friday!
PS would you have known what I meant if these were called Crange (cranberry+orange) Muffins? The thought actually crossed my mind…Print
Cranberry Orange Muffins with Orange Glaze
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 27 mins
- Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup+2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp orange extract*
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine dry ingredients (both flours, baking soda, salt) in bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs together. Add honey, orange extract, orange zest and mix together.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
- Hand stir in cranberries and stir until everything is mixed together.
- Grease muffin tin (or use muffin liners) and pour batter evenly into tin; place tin in oven.
- Bake for 10-15 mins* and remove from oven.
- For glaze, mix powdered sugar, milk, and orange extract together in a bowl. Wait 5 minutes or so for the muffins to cool and then, using a knife, ice the muffins with the orange glaze.
*Can sub for vanilla extract, but won’t be as flavorful.
Q: Have you ever used orange zest? Tell me one thing on your weekend agenda.
If you like these, you’ll also love…