This Strawberry Vanilla Bean Fool is made with whipped cream and mascarpone, along with a two ingredient strawberry compote. Ready in less than 20 minutes!
It’s here—the return of the FOOL, or rather, the dessert fool, only this time it’s vanilla bean fool rather than a blood orange fool. No matter—both are incredibly delicious. I feel like I always say desserts are easy, but let’s be honest. not all desserts are easy easy. Like cake, for example. Cake can be easy if you’re a baker, but I feel like cakes can be a bit intimidating. Same with cookies. But this rhubarb crumble and this vanilla bean fool are actually easy. It’s basically just whipping cream+mascarpone and some fruit.
Yep, that easy.
I wouldn’t consider myself an expert when it comes to working with whipping cream, but I will tell you this: whipped whipping cream (aka whipped cream) doesn’t require skill but rather patience, and plenty of it. You’ll start to think it’s never going to form soft peaks, but just be patient! Mine took at least five minutes this time around, which I don’t remember happening the first time. Trust me, you want—no, you NEED—the consistency to be perfect because that’s what makes a fool so darn delicious. It’s like eating clouds! Soft, pillowy clouds that taste like vanilla bean.
Tip: if you have a standing mixer, I’d recommend using that for this recipe because it’ll make life a bit easier. However, if you’re like me and you do not, a hand-held electric mixer will work just fine—just think of it as a little shoulder/arm workout 😉
Oh shoot, I almost forgot about the strawberries! We can’t do that. The strawberry compote is simply strawberries and maple syrup. Not surprisingly, it pairs perfectly both flavor and texture-wise with the vanilla bean fool. Helloooooo go-to summer dessert?! I think yes.
Oh PS I’m currently frolicking the streets of DC with Miguel and our two friends—be sure to follow along on Instagram!
- 8 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 vanilla beans, seeded*
- For the compote:
- 3 cups strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Start by making the compote: add strawberries and syrup to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, using a wooden spoon to break down the strawberries a bit.
- While the compote is simmering, add heavy whipping cream to a large bowl. Use an electric mixer or a stand mixer to mix the whipping cream until it has formed soft peaks. I recommend using a low setting on your mixture for approximately 2 minutes straight before increasing the intensity of the mixer. Also, be patient with this! For me, it took five full minutes for soft peaks to form. Once they do, add the mascarpone, sugar, and vanilla to the bowl and gently mix until everything is combined; set bowl aside.
- By now, the compote should be ready. Pour HALF of the compote into a blender and blend until compote has turned into a liquid.
- Last, create the fool parfaits by layering jars or cups with the whipped cream mix, the strawberry liquid from the blender and the strawberry compote.