This Cheesy Cauliflower Rice uses two types of cheese and is ready in approximately 30 minutes. Take it up a notch by adding buffalo shrimp and your whole family will love this dish!
Ohhhh how I adore cauliflower rice, especially when it’s covered in cheese!
How are we feeling after the holiday weekend? I have been busy—like insanely busy. Mostly good things like new and exciting projects that I can hopefully share soon, but I also had the privilege of spending 1.5 hours on the phone with Comcast on Monday because my internet wasn’t working. OH THE JOY.
Yes, that was a sarcastic joy—the real joy is this cheesy cauliflower rice.
Truthfully, I opted to use cauliflower rice to keep this dish grain-free, but if you don’t mind some grains, I think it’d be super yummy with some brown rice added into the mix. Brown rice+cauliflower rice=whole grains+veggies—I love it. If you can’t seem to get your family on board with cauliflower rice, hopefully their ears will perk up when you mention BUFFALO SHRIMP as in shrimp marinated in buffalo sauce. Talk about grain-free comfort food!
Let’s walk through this recipe real quick. You’ll start by grinding up raw cauliflower into your food processor, turning it into cauliflower rice. Meanwhile, you’ll cook the shrimp in a skillet with a tiny bit of olive oil and buffalo sauce, and in a separate oven-safe skillet, you’ll cook the garlic and onion for a few minutes before adding in the milk, flour and cheese, which will form a cheese sauce (!!). You’ll then stir in the cauliflower rice and spinach until they’re covered in cheese, and then add in the buffalo shrimp.
Last but certainly not least, you’ll sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and bake the skillet for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. So.freaking.good. It’s a quick weeknight meal that is suuuure to please the whole family, and a sneaky way to squeeze in more veggies!
If you make this recipe, remember to tag @thealmondeater on Instagram—I love to see your creations!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup cooked shrimp, tails removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp buffalo sauce (I used Frank's)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Handful of spinach
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Break cauliflower into pieces and place it in the food processor. Pulse until cauliflower has broken down (it should look similar to rice); set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet; add shrimp and buffalo sauce, stirring occasionally until shrimp is marinated and cooked; set aside.
- In an oven-safe skillet, heat 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic and onion over medium heat. Stir for 3-5 minutes until onion is softer.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and flour together and then add the milk to the skillet with the onion.
- Add HALF the shredded cheese to the skillet, stirring slowly until cheese has melted, and then add the rest of the cheese, forming a cheese sauce. At this point, you can also stir in the spinach.
- Stir in the cauliflower rice and shrimp. Sprinkle skillet with breadcrumbs and place the skillet in the oven. Bake rice for approximately 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from oven; serve immediately and enjoy!