A one skillet dessert loaded with caramel apple goodness! This dish is filled with apples, oats, caramel sauce, and it’s vegan-friendly, too!
Disclosure: This post is in partnership with Bed Bath & Beyond, a store I frequently shop at (seriously, they have everything). As always, all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support The Almond Eater!
It’s FRIDAY, which means it’s time for some dessert aka CARAMEL APPLE CRUMBLE.
The day of the week is always my logic for dessert. Mondays call for dessert because they’re terrible and you need something to help you through the day, Wednesdays call for dessert because it’s a “congrats, you’re half way through the week” treat, and Fridays call for dessert because YOU MADE IT. We made it. You now get to devour this entire skillet by yourself. <—no judgment on my end seeing as I had zero self control with this recipe, though after all, how could I? Oats, apples, cinnamon, sugar, caramel sauce…how can one possibly have self control around all that deliciousness?
You may have noticed I’ve been using a cast iron skillet quite frequently. I used it for this gnocchi recipe, this butternut squash recipe and now for this caramel apple crumble skillet. It’s an Artisanal Kitchen Supply cast iron skillet from Bed Bath & Beyond (this one to be exact) and I’m officially obsessed. It’s multi-purpose, it can be used in the oven or on the stovetop, it’s non-stick, and BONUS—it photographs quite nicely too. Along with the cast iron skillet, Bed Bath & Beyond provided me with all of the dishes you see—the plates, the mug and the ramekin. I love that the plates have a bit of a curve to them (can you see it?)—it gives them a bit of pizzaz without being too crazy and I’m all about it.
So let’s chat all things caramel apple. Though I’ve finally hopped on the pumpkin train, I’m still more a part of team apple (err… caramel apple) this year. I can’t help it! If there was ever a perfect food match, it’d be caramel and apple. ….aaaaand ice cream! Don’t forget the ice cream. In fact, if you use a non-dairy ice cream (heeeey cashew or coconut milk), this entire dessert is dairy free aka vegan aka WHAT. Yes really.
Happy ‘eat all the dessert’ Friday, friends!
- 4 apples (preferably some type of red apple)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup salted caramel sauce
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup butter, melted (dairy free for vegan)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Optional: vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop apples into bite-size slices and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a large oven-proof skillet (a cast iron skillet works well) over low-medium heat; add apples and coconut sugar and stir. Keep apples in skillet for 5 minute or so, or until they've softened.
- While apples are cooking, combine oats, melted butter and brown sugar together in a bowl.
- Pour oat mixture overtop of apples and stir to combine; last, stir in the caramel sauce.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until apples are soft and oats have turned golden in color.
- Once cooked, turn the oven off and broiler on high and broil for 2 minutes, making the oats a bit crispier.
- Remove from oven, add ice cream, drizzle with extra caramel sauce and enjoy!