Simple 8-ingredient Cinnamon French Toast with Strawberry Pomegranate Compote. A healthy and fruity breakfast or breakfast-for-dinner meal!
FFFFFFriday… FFFFFFFFrench toast. In my mind, they go hand-in-hand, though technically it’s more of a weekend food I suppose. But hey, it’s practically the weekend so let’s roll with it. To be honest, the only thing better than french toast is cinnamon french toast and the only thing better than plain ‘ole cinnamon french toast is cinnamon french toast topped with strawberry pomegranate compote.
Oh yeah, I went there.
I’ve been obsessing over pomegranates ever since I realized they’re not that hard to seed (or I don’t think so anyway…). I made my Coconut Curry Chicken Tacos with Pomegranate Rice and my Cinnamon Spice Pomegranate Oatmeal and, well, it looks like I’m back with another cinnamon-y pomegranate-filled recipe. Don’t be mad—this breakfast will take you all of 15 minutes to make.
Seriously, why did no one tell me how easy french toast is? At this rate, every other recipe I post is going to be a french toast recipe because THAT’S how easy it is.
But reeeeeal quick, remember when I told you a month ago that I was working on a really exciting project? Well I’m hoping to share it will you all on Monday (!!!!!). Fingers crossed. It’s been in the making for quite some time so I’m REALLY hoping I can share it with you then.
Phew, had to get that out of the way, but wanted to give you a heads up!
Now, back to the toast..
The only time—and I mean the ONLY time—I ate french toast growing up was on Christmas morning. Actually, it’s still the only time I eat french toast. ..until now. This cinnamon french toast is just four ingredients and filled with cinnamon flavor. The strawberry pomegranate compote is also just four ingredients and made with orange juice. I tried it twice–once with lemon juice and once with orange and decided that I liked the orange better. Lemon juice does work though, if that’s what you have on hand.
So yeah, eight total ingredients and it’s perfect for breakfast or dinner (which I may have made again last night..). Top it with syrup and chocolate shavings and you’ve got the best damn french toast.
Happy Friday friends!
- French toast:
- 6 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 cups strawberries
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- For the berry compote: heat berries, pomegranate seeds, orange juice, and sugar in a saucepan over high heat; bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Remove compote from heat and store in a container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- For the french toast: Whisk eggs together in a bowl; add milk, vanilla and cinnamon and stir.
- Dip bread, one at a time, in the egg mixture and place in a skillet with a bit of coconut oil so the bread doesn't stick.
- Cook bread on both sides until golden brown.
- Top french toast with compote and maple syrup and enjoy!
Q: Which do you prefer: pancakes, waffles or french toast?