This super flavorful White Bean Breakfast Hash is the perfect breakfast for one! It combines beans, mushrooms and bacon into one delicious hash and is topped with an egg for added protein.
K so I have to be completely honest here… this recipe is not mine alone. Ya see, a few weeks ago my brother and I went to Square Cafe aka my favorite breakfast place in Pittsburgh. I’d been there a few times and in the past and typically have gotten their Brussels Sprouts and Bacon dish or pancakes—both excellent choices. This time, however, I was feeling something different. Like, white beans different.
I’m typically not much of a “bean” person in general, unless we’re talking green beans because that’s a whole ‘nother category in my book. Black beans are fine, pinto beans are fine, white beans are fine..Let’s just say when I go to Chipotle, I never get beans in my Burrito bowl. But, for whatever reason, I thought their White Bean dish sounded scrumptious, so I went with it. Best. Decision. Ever.
Sorry. That was a sentence Layla typed. She’s sitting on my lap as I write this. I thought about erasing it, but I wanted to show you her level of intelligence. OH MY GOD I’m a terrible human she just sat up and licked my face. I take back what I said—I love her.
But back to this bean hash… it’s super simple to make and also packed with flavor and protein. Beans, shallots, mushrooms, and bacon—BOOM, that’s flavor for ya. Oh, and don’t try subbing the shallots for anything else. I tried and it wasn’t good. Their unique flavor is required for this dish to be 100 percent perfection. I also used real bacon instead of turkey bacon because sometimes you just need real bacon in your life. Top it all with an egg and avocado and you’re good to go! Well, the avocado part is optional, but are avocados ever reeeeally optional? No. No they’re not.
So I guess you could say my opinion on beans has changed. Well, white beans anyway. They’re freaking delicious.
- 1 can white kidney beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp shallots, minced
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 egg
- Pepper to taste
- Optional: ½ avocado
- Open can of beans and drain any liquid from the can. Then, cook beans over stovetop until they are heated.
- While beans are cooking, slice mushrooms and mince shallots.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over stovetop and add mushrooms to the pan. Once they start cooking a bit, add the shallots. Once both the mushrooms and the shallots are a golden brown, remove from stovetop and add them to the pot with the beans.
- Remove the bean pot from the stove and stir in the mushrooms and shallots; set aside.
- In a skillet (can use same one from before) cook both slices of bacon. Once they are cooked, remove from heat and wait 1-2 minutes for them to cool a bit. Then, slice or break them into tiny pieces and add them to the pot.
- Stir everything together and put mixture on a plate.
- In a skillet, heat a tiny bit of olive oil and then crack an egg and cook it until the whites are bubbling a bit. Use a spatula to carefully remove the egg from the skillet to overtop the bean mixture.
- Add pepper to taste
Q: Are you a fan of beans? What’s your favorite kind?
If you like this, you’ll also love…