So now that I’m a working professional, I have to actually wear real clothes. Wait, what? At my old job I was allowed to wear whatever I wanted and showering was optional—I kid you not. So, obviously I wore yoga pants almost every day because I enjoy being comfortable as often as possible. At my new job, however, I interface with the public more frequently and therefore have to look at least halfway presentable. This dilemma has caused me to want to go shopping ALL THE TIME. Thankfully, I’m not usually an impulse buyer. I’ll see an item I like, leave the store, and if I find myself daydreaming about that item days later, THEN I know I have to go back and get it.
I decided to compile a list of fall/winter “professional” fashion items I’ve been eyeing that I’m hoping to get for my birthday, even though it’s still a month away (Miguel if you’re reading this, take note). Even though I do have to look presentable, that doesn’t mean I have to wear a blazer and pencil skirt every day. Some days I work from home and therefore can wear whatever I want (hello yoga pants), other days I’m at the office where jeans are acceptable, and other days I’m at events where I have to get a bit more dolled up.
1. Quilted Shift Dress; Banana Republic: I love dresses. Love, love, love. Unfortunately the dresses I do own seem to fall under two categories: 1) sundresses or 2) super fancy wear-to-a-wedding type dresses. I realized pretty quickly that I need to invest in a few simple yet professional work dresses. I like the simplicity and versatility of this black dress—something like this would be ideal.
2. Polka Dot Gauze Infinity Scarf; Old Navy: Ohhhh infinity scarves, how I adore thee. I own a million scarves but only one infinity scarf—what’s up with that? I need a few others and I really like this one—it just screams “fall” to me.
3.Aldo Grumale Flat; via DSW. Nude flats are a must the same way that nude heels are a must. I own nude heels—which is great—but I need nude flats for days when I’m on my feet a lot. I love this pair and, even though you can’t tell from the picture, the one side swoops down a bit, which gives them a bit more character.
4. Campbell Capri with Leather Tuxedo Stripe; J. Crew. These pants are perfect. I don’t even know if I need to say anything else, but I will. The gray pants I own are fine…. plain gray with a bit of a flair at the end… but these are chic. Straight leg pants with a leather stripe down the side.. These would convince the world that I have a sense of fashion, which is my ultimate goal in life.
5. Domain Wedge Bootie; Madden Girl via DSW. Wedge booties are IN. I wanted a pair last year but for whatever reason did not commit. I think this year is the year that we allllllll invest in a nice pair of wedge booties.
6. Wool-blend Cardigan; H&M: Huge baggy cardigans that make us look like homeless people are also “in”, and I’m diggin’ them. I currently own one but it’s kind of falling apart at the seams, so owning a second one wouldn’t be the worst idea ever. I like the soft look of this one and I’m into the gray because…well, because gray goes with everything.
7. “Oh Kale Yes” White Scoop Neck; Truth Balance Virtue. I’m obsessed with all of Jordan’s shirts, but I’ve been eyeing this one for awhile now. I currently own her “Yoga Junkie” tank and I love it, so this Kale tshirt is next on my list. I think it would go perfectly under a black blazer for a day when I’m in the office.
8. Bandolino Berry Pump; via DSW: Navy heels…weird…I never thought they’d make it on my wish list, but they are. I own a navy blazer that I’ve been wanting to wear but can’t seem to find shoes that pull the look together. I’m thinking a simple pair of low heels would do the trick.
Phew, clearly I’m extremely needy. I’m obviously not going to get all of these things (prioritization people) but that’s why it’s called a Wish List! I hope you all have a lovely weekend 🙂
Q: What’s on your current fashion wish list?