Hi guys—happy Monday! How was your weekend? Mine was productive to say the least, which is exactly what I needed. I was a chapter behind in school and now I am all caught up, and I was able to develop and shoot two new recipes AND clean the apartment. Ohhh the things that excite me.
So for the past two weeks Miguel has been away at an Army training in North Carolina. Though two weeks isn’t long (he comes back tonight eeeeeeee), this time felt different than the other times we’ve been apart and I couldn’t figure out why. And then it hit me: it was the first time in my entire life that I was living by myself. I don’t even know if it counts since it was only for two weeks, but I’m telling you it was weird. The thing is, I’ve always had a roommate. I had roommates throughout all four years of college and during the summers I either came home so my parents were my roommates OR I stayed in Pittsburgh and lived with other roommates. Then right after graduating college I moved in with Miguel, so I never really lived alone. It wasn’t that I was necessarily against living by myself, but it just never worked out that way.
Here are a few things I’ve learned about myself these past two weeks of living on my own:
1. I’m bad at keeping the kitchen clean. Miguel and I have gotten into the routine of doing dishes every evening, but when he’s not home, that doesn’t necessarily happen. I was also much better about doing dishes in college than I am now. I am not proud of this but it’s the truth. Dishes can overwhelm me sometimes. I think it’s because I cook/bake more frequently than I used to..? That’s my excuse.
2. The TV is never on when I am home. Miguel loves having the TV on as background noise while I personally prefer listening to music. While he’s been gone I think the TV has been on for maybe a total of 6 hours. When I was in college the TV was never on either or, if it was, I wasn’t usually the one watching it.
3. It’s very, very quiet. No roommates/boyfriend=quiet apartment. Since it’s so quiet I’ve found myself talking to myself A LOT. I’m glad no one’s around to witness me doing this.
4. I have to buy my own iced coffee. Even though I love iced coffee more than a lot of things, I don’t typically get it during the week and if I do it’s usually a Friday treat. But I alwaysssss get it on the weekends and since Miguel hasn’t been here I’ve had to buy my own coffee. Talk about a maaaaajor bummer. ….I’m kidding, seriously, first world problems, I KNOW.
5. I like roommates! And me time. But roommates for sure! Or a roommate! I was actually talking to my friend about this recently and she said she thinks she might want to live by herself next year, which I completely respect. However, the main difference is that she’s around people all day every day at her job, whereas I am mostly by myself at my job from 9-5. It’s weird for me to go from being by myself at work and then coming home to then being by myself in my apartment as well. I like talking, preferably to others rather than to myself 😛
And that’s that! Nothing major but just something I was thinking about these past two weeks. I hope you all enjoy your day! Xoxo
Q: Do you live by yourself or with roommates? Which do you prefer?